Monday, January 25, 2010

Bearfoot Band

Quote of the Day: Everything that is new or uncommon raises a pleasure in the imagination, because it fills the soul with an agreeable surprise, gratifies its curiosity, and gives it an idea of which it was not before possessed. - Joseph Addison




What do Billy Bob Thornton, the first lady of France, and Courtney Love have in common? They all auditioned for the Bearfoot Band. I won tickets to hear this amazing band through a local radio station and community college. Thank you, Patrick! He talked up the band, which perked my interest enough to turn up the radio. While I was stirring my oatmeal and thinking I'd like to hear them perform, he gave us the above trivia. Then at the end of the interview told us to call in if we could remember who had auditioned for this band when they were looking for a fifth member to join them after an original member left.

The original members are from Alaska and met at music camp. They started playing together throughout their home state, then the Pacific Northwest, and several years later in the heart of the lakes area in Minnesota, where I heard them, and tomorrow - Glasgow, Scotland. Wow! I love their sound. I love their youthful energy and courage to follow their dreams, and I love how comfortable they all looked playing together on stage.

Their style is rooted in bluegrass. They know how to blend the strings - the fiddles, the mandolin, the bass, and guitar. The vocals were smooth and mellow and filled with emotion. I could listen to them all night long. They sing the kind of music that tells a story, a story of real people, people like us.

Thank you, Patrick for the free tickets. Thank you, my friend Jennifer for going to the concert with me. And, thank you Bearfoot Band for coming to my little dot on the map and performing with all your heart and soul. I feel inspired by your song.

Journaling Prompt: Describe your favorite style of music and how it inspires you.

No comments:

Post a Comment