Friday, January 15, 2010

Out of Sorts

Quote of the Day: Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir



It took me some time to find the just the right quote today. I was feeling out of Sorts, so I went outside to find some. I thought of it like the response one of the boys had when he was small. He wanted to ride on one of those moving cars where you deposit a couple quarters and move back and forth to motor noises, but he couldn't because the sign said, "Out of Order." He came over to me and asked if I could give him some Order so he could ride.

I did not find Order that day in my extra large hand-bag made especially for mothers of multiples, but I did gather my Sorts as I walked today. First, it is something to celebrate that I could walk outside without freezing up on January 15 in Minnesota. We had temps. so far below zero last week that we didn't dare stand outside for more than a second. And, if we did have to go somewhere, we practiced our sprint from house to car to grocery store, or whatever shelter was available. We bundle up so tightly. It feels like hibernation within yourself. Let not one inch be exposed lest you get bitten, by the frost.

Just before I went out for my walk to find my Sorts, I glanced at my friend's blog. Peace Garden Mama wrote about the light, the healing effects of sunlight. Although her blog discusses the healing of living in the light, I felt the healing of the natural sun on that bit of skin I did expose today, the part between the cap and the scarf. I felt the contemplative movement of one foot in front of the other. A few neighbors were out pushing the crusted snow off their driveways. A slight breeze of hope for spring was in the air, and it soon entered my step.

I remembered the first time I felt honored as a writer. I was in the 5th grade and Mrs. Buchholz (sounds like book holes) read my essay out loud to the class. I blushed 17 shades of red and giggled through the entire reading, but I felt like a real writer. The topic was "What would you do if you knew you would lose one of your senses?" I chose hearing. I remember writing about taking the time to really listen to the voices of people I love. I'd go out into the woods and listen to the birds and the crickets and the rushing of the water. My teacher said she really liked it. She shared it with the class, and I felt honored.

A walk in the woods helps you remember who you are. A walk in the neighborhood helps you see who you're connected to. A walk down memory lane helps you remember your hopes and dreams from when you were a child. A walk outside of yourself helps you get your Sorts back and gives you energy to keep moving forward.

Journaling Prompt: Describe a favorite place or time where you took a walk. Who was with you? Were you alone? Did you sort out any of your life's ponderings?

No comments:

Post a Comment