Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Divine Breadsticks

As a self proclaimed bread lover, I am always happy to find a new recipe that I can easily make and that also tastes delicious with a multitude of other foods. These Divine Breadsticks from My Kitchen CafĂ© are my new favorite bread item. Yes, I know the Pizza Dough and Ciabatta Rolls were also declared favorites, but I just can’t help myself! Warm out of the oven they are a little crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Not to mention they are fast to prepare, less than an hour from start to finish and that includes rise time and baking time.

If you aren’t comfortable making bread, try this recipe. Even without a stand mixer it would be an easy recipe to start with. Then try to stay out of them until it’s time to eat…it is extremely difficult!
Divine Breadsticks
Recipe Source: My Kitchen Cafe

*Makes about 20-25 breadsticks, depending on how thick or thin you cut them

1 ½ cups warm water
1 tablespoon instant yeast (also known as rapid rise yeast) or 1 1/2 tablespoon active dry yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
3 ½ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter, melted (for the baking sheet)

Mix all ingredients (except melted butter) in a large bowl or electric mixer and knead for three minutes. Let the dough rest for 10 minutes. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread melted butter onto an 11X17-inch baking sheet. Roll out the breadstick dough about 1/4 to 1/2-inch thick and cut into strips with a pizza cutter. Twist slightly if desired and place about 1/2-inch apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic salt, herbs of choice (I vary this depending on my mood but it usually consists of rosemary, basil, or thyme in some form and crushed finely) and parmesan cheese. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise 30 minutes. Bake 15-20 minutes at 375 degrees until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment