Sunday, March 28, 2010

Oatmeal Bread

Since starting this quest, I have developed a love of making my own bread.  Dinner rolls, bread sticks, biscuits,  cinnamon rolls...you name it, I want to make it. There is nothing that can replace the smell of bread baking, well eating it does, but in the smell category baking bread draws everyone in.  It is homey and comforting.

When I smell bread baking, I am reminded of being a child watching my grandmothers make delicious breads for huge groups of people.  Grandma Doris, was famous for her cinnamon rolls and parker house rolls.  Not one family gathering passed without one of these recipes being passed around the table.  Her hands moved so quickly that I couldn't quite figure out how she shaped the dough, all I knew is I wanted to eat them as soon as possible.  Grandma Betty was a restaurant owner, specifically a cafe, and she made the best breakfasts of anyone I know; included in those breakfasts was always, always, the fluffiest, flakiest biscuits I have ever seen in my life.  No matter how hard I try I have not been able to replicate them nor do I think I can. Even if there were a recipe written down that I could follow, there is just no way that I or anyone else could make them the way Grandma Betty did. 

As my Oatmeal Bread was baking, I smiled and thought about both my grandmothers.  They taught me so much and I appreciate it all.  Without them allowing me into their kitchens I wouldn't have been exposed to baking bread. This recipe, that sent me down memory lane is a great bread recipe.  It tastes like wheat bread, but isn't dense or heavy.  The oats add great texture and more flavor than I could have imagined.  I hope you enjoy!
Oatmeal Bread
Recipe Source: Oh Sweet Basil

1 Cup Oatmeal
2 Cups Boiling Water
1 pkg Yeast
1/4 Cup Warm Water
1/2 Cup Molasses or 1/3 Cup Honey
2 Ts Salt
1 Tb Butter or Vegetable Oil
5 1/2 Cups Flour (We do 2 1/2 Cups Wheat and 3 Cups White)

Place the oats in a large bowl and pour boiling water over the top. Let stand 15 minutes or until luke warm.

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 Cup warm water. Add molasses or honey, salt, and butter or veggie oil.

Work in the flour until the dough just comes together. Place on a floured surface and knead until smooth.

Let rise until doubled (usually about an hour), punch down and form into loaves. Let rise until doubled again.

Bake at 375 for 40-45 min or until done. You can usually lightly tap the top and the bread should be sounding hollow when it's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment