Monday, March 1, 2010

Driver's License

Quote of the Day:  Life is a highway, and I want to ride it all night long. - Rascal Flatts
(Click Here for the YouTube video from the movie Cars.)


First Born turned 16 on Friday, Feb. 26. 
First Born had friends over to celebrate - junk food and video game fest.  (I'm so lucky that he has really nice friends.) 
First Born had his last behind-the-wheel driving instruction on Sunday.
First Born took his driver's test AND PASSED today!

Holy Smokes!

I'll have to say that teaching First Born to drive has been the hardest parenting task, yet! Not that he's terrible.  He does pretty well.  It's an exercise in letting go, as is the entire journey of parenting.  And, when you're sitting in the passenger's seat, you realize just how little control you have over the journey, the driver, and your reactions.  I didn't want to be the kind of mom who holds her breath the minute he steps on the gas, or over-correct, or get a little excited.  But, when he was backing out of the drive-way on Thanksgiving morning for the three hour trip to Grandma's house, I said, "Put on the brake.  Stop.  You need to..." Bang! he hit the mailbox.  The van was fine.  The mailbox lay lifeless on the ground.  I consider it a break-away mailbox.  It came that way when we moved into our current house. The snowplow knocked it off.

I knit prayer shawls.  When I'm the driving instructor/parent on trips to Grandma's house, I knit, and pray.

When First Born pulled away from the curb with Driving Tester in the passenger seat, I said a little prayer, "Dear Jesus, be the co-pilot."  I sang another good journey song in my head, The River by Garth Brooks. In that song, he's sailing a vessel, not driving a car, but I like the line, There's bound to be rough waters, and I know I'll take some falls, but as the Good Lord as my captain, I can make it through them all.

The day you get your driver's license is a memorable day.  It's the birthday of your independence.  You are licensed to drive.  You have newly born freedoms, newly born responsibilities. You can really go places.  Now, if you can just afford the gas.

Journaling Prompt:  Do you remember the day you got your driver's license?  Write about it, or a memorable driving experience, like the first time you got the car on your own and went out with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment