Sunday, March 14, 2010

Secret Promise Cookies

Sure, it "looks" like an unassuming cookie as it sits on the plate, but it is not my friends.  This cookie is something else entirely.  I promise, if you like peanut butter you will love these cookies.  Oh, my heaven, they are so good--soft and chewy, with a warm chocolate gooey center and then a second surprise with the little kick of cinnamon.  I have mentioned before that my husband's favorite flavor combination is peanut butter and chocolate so I made these for him, but I will confess I ate about six of them before he got home.  This is a cookie that I could eat a lot of.
Secret Promises Cookies

Recipe Source: Adapted very slightly from Cookie Madness by a Cook's Quest

1 1/4 cup all purpose unbleached flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup smooth peanut butter
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
24-30 good quality chocolate candies that don't get too hard when cold, Dove Promises work very well
Powdered sugar for dusting, if desired

Combine flour, baking powder, and cinnamon; set aside. Beat the butter and brown sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in the peanut butter, then beat in the eggs, vanilla and salt. Scrape sides and continue beating until well mixed. By hand, stir in the flour mixture. Chill dough for a couple of hours. The longer you chill it, the easier it is to work with.

Scoop a tablespoon of dough into your hand, flatten it slightly and place your candy on top.
Scoop another tablespoon, place on top of the chocolate and cover the chocolate as best you can, making sure the cookie dough is sealed.


Place dough balls a couple of inches apart on stoneware or parchment lined cookie sheets. Bake on center rack of oven at 350 F. for 12-14 minutes for small cookies or 18-21 for larger cookies like mine or until edges just begin to get light brown and cookies are set. Let cool slightly, roll in powdered suagar if desired (I skipped this to avoid the mess with my little ones.)

**Cook's Note-If you want these cookies to stay soft be sure to store them in a plastic bag or covered tightly.  I loved them still warm, but my husband said they were really good once cooled and the chocolate center wasn't too hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment