Saturday, June 26, 2010

Fruit Cobbler

The title of this recipe is a bit deceiving because it isn't really for a whole cobbler, just the crust.  You see, I have no interest in cooked fruit, unless the said fruit is an apple.  When served cobblers, my method is to eat a corner piece that is likely to have more crust than fruit and even then I'm not happy because most of the cobblers I have consumed didn't posses a crust worth remembering...now enter my friend Anisha's cobbler.

The peach cobbler she brought to work shortly after starting in my office was amazing, phenomenal, superb, simply put, like everything else she cooks, Anisha's cobbler is legendary.  It is simple and straight forward, nothing fancy or overly hard to prepare.  I am told it works beautifully with any fruit filling you might want to put under it for the simple reason that the crust is so marvelous.  So go to the local market and buy whatever fruit you want (my kids wanted peaches), mix it with some sugar and cornstarch for thickening and pour this crust over the top.  It will scream fresh summer dessert at you the minute you take a bite!

Sugar Cookie Crust
Recipe Source: Anisha's Kitchen

1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla

fruit of your choice
2 tablespoons of flour
2 tablespoons of sugar

Cream butter, sugar, egg and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients.  Mix until well blended. Your batter will resemble a very soft cookie dough.


 Combine fruit with 2 tablespoons of flour and 2 tablespoons of sugar.  Pour/spread over fruit mixture.  Bake at 375 F until golden brown.

**Cook's Notes: I made this in a 9x9 pan.  I also covered my crust part way through because it was browning too quickly and inside wasn't cooking as fast.  You can easily double this recipe for larger pans.

Total Cost- $1.26 with fruit $4.41 (depending on which fruit you decide to use the final cost will vary)
Butter $1.08
Egg .08
Flour .08
Sugar .02

No comments:

Post a Comment