Thursday, June 10, 2010

Miles to go before I Sleep


Quote of the Day:  from Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening By Robert Frost

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


Like a good farmer's daughter, here I am out standing in a field.  This one happens to be a field of daisies, part of the gorgeous scenery I've enjoyed in the Brainerd lakes area as I've been biking the trails and roads.  On Memorial Day, I rode 35 miles with my oldest son, his friend, a couple moms and their daughters.  On Sat. June 5, I rode 42 miles on the Paul Bunyan Tour of Lakes with over 1200 other people.  On Wed. I rode 16 miles with kids from my church and a few adults.  Including a few shorter rides, I have biked over 100 miles in less than two weeks.  I didn't add up all the training miles since the beginning of April.


As with any journey, it helps to have great travel companions who encourage you, talk you through the steep hills, and help you read the map.




Rest is important, as well as good snacks and plenty of water.  Take time to smell the roses, and photograph the droplets of water that rest on them.


Stay focused on the sweet rewards at the end of your journey.  Savor them.  Then, get back on and ride some more.  You have miles to go before you sleep.  Enjoy every push and pedal towards your destination!



Journaling Prompt:  Write a road map for your personal journey.  What is your destination?  What route do you need to take?  Where will you find rest and support?  Who is there to cheer you on?

No comments:

Post a Comment