Friday, June 4, 2010

Summer School

Mary, climbing the creative ladder!




Quote of the Day:  You're not gonna get it cuz you want it; you're gonna get it cuz you planned it. Mr. Taj Mahal, blues-rock musician (His website is full of rhythm.)

School's out for summer for my boys.  School is in session for their Mama.  I applied for and was accepted to a class through the Five Wings Arts Council called The Work of Art:  Business Skills for Artists.  This class is provided free of charge to me, the artist, through a grant. (The Artist Development Project is provided by the Minnesota State Arts Board, in partnership with the Forum of Regional Arts Councils of Minnesota, Springboard for the Arts and Creative Capital. This activity is made possible, in part, by funding from the the Minnesota State Arts Board, through an appropriation by the Minnesota State Legislature from the Minnesota Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund with money from the vote of the people of Minnesota on November 4, 2008.)

The instructor got us thinking about our five year plan in our business as artists.  If you plan your goals the same way you plan for a trip - routes, estimated times of departure and arrival, stops along the way, clear about the destination - you will reach that goal, and you'll be able to stay focused.  She had us visualize our ideal day as an artist, and start filling out charts and plans.  I couldn't answer them all that night.  I need to think about a few of them.  Plus, I was too interested in the discussion and all the great new artists I met!  I'm fulfilling my longing to be part of an artist community.

Who's climbing that ladder with me?

Journaling Prompt:  What's your five year plan?  Write down five things you can do in the next six months to get you further along your journey. (We did this, signed it, and sealed it in a envelope.  I imagine it will come back to me in six months so I can assess my progress.)

No comments:

Post a Comment