Sunday, June 27, 2010

Rock Salt Rub for Chicken

My mom recently returned from a trip to Europe and one of the gifts she gave to me was this lovely assortment of goodies:
 Are you wondering why she gave me a grater, rocks, a wooden scoop and a bowl?  I sure was!  Then she explained that the rocks were salt from Salzburg.  You, grate the rocks using the little grater, into the bowl and then use the little wooden scoop to get what you need.  My friends have all heard of this rock salt but I must have been living under a rock because I thought it was just the neatest thing ever!  To top it off, the salt makes my food, especially meats, taste amazing.  I've been adding it to everything I can and loving the results.

Then while digging through my cupboards I found this little contraption,
also a gift, and also from my mom.  I believe it was given at Christmas and I had forgotten about it.  So I instantly knew what I was going to do...I was going to make a rub, using my new favorite salt, put it on one of the cheap whole chickens I bought and figure out this chicken roaster thingy.

I've had other versions of this chicken that were flavorful and moist, but this one tops them all.  The rub is sweet and a little hot, but not too hot.  The whole family ate this chicken like I hadn't fed them in a week, then wanted more later on.  This is a new summer grill favorite!

Now, if you don't drink, or don't have any beer in the house you can simply replace the beer for juice, broth, I've even heard of people doing it with Sprite.  This recipe/method for chicken is very easy, and very very tasty! Pair it up with some fresh corn, calico beans, or potato salad for a tasty meal idea!
Beer Can Chicken with Rock Salt Rub
Recipe Source: Jenn at A Cook's Quest

1 Whole Chicken-Cleaned and rinsed
Spice Rub (recipe below)
1 beer,  or 8 oz apple juice/broth/soda

Spice Rub
2 tablespoons rock salt grates or a coarser table salt will work too
1 tablespoon regular table salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon white sugar
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1-3 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper

Combine inngedients for the rub in a bowl and set aside.  Wash and pat dry your chicken.  Rub the spice rub, on and inside the chicken, working the seasoning under the skin of the breast as well.  Let sit for 1 hour to overnight.  When ready to grill, cut the top off of the can you are using.  If you are using a beer, drink or pour out about 1/3 of the liquid, (I didn't have any beer in a can, so I rinsed out a soda can and poured the beer into that,) and if you want you can put seasonings, lemon wedge in the can for extra flavor.
Place the chicken on top of the can and grill over medium low heat until the chicken is cooked through. 

Remove the chicken from the can, and if you can do this without spilling all the delicious juices, pour what hasn't evaporated from the can over the chicken.  Allow to rest for 15 minutes, carve and then get out of the way or you might just get trampled on!

Total Cost-$3.51
Chicken $2.01
Rub $1.50 (estimating)
Beer-Free (I got it from my Mother in Law because we were out, normally it would be about $1-1.50 depending on brand)

I am completely estimating here because I have no idea what the costs of my seasonings were.  My hubby did some shopping when I was too busy with school and most of the spices were purchased by him.  He did buy on sale so I know they weren't too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment