Saturday, October 23, 2010

HomemadeTaco Seasoning

Once in a while I find a recipe that calls for a packet of taco seasoning.  I don't buy them because of a very bad taco dinner experience I had in high school when I didn't read the directions all the way through and ended up with a very salty taco filling.  Needless to say, I found that tossing seasonings into my meat was a better option than the little packets.  That is, until the times I need a packet of taco seasoning for this recipe or that recipe.  After passing yet again on a recipe because I just didn't want to buy a taco packet, I decided to make my own, using all the same ingredients I always use for tacos but in bulk.  Using this method means I always have some pre-made and ready to go.  The thing I love most is I can control how much salt, how much spice, how much of everything I add to the mix so I can ensure my family will love it every time. 

Taco Seasoning
Recipe Source: A Cook's Quest

**As is this recipe will make about 6 tablespoons.  Or you can increase the amounts so you have more on hand.

1 T chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 T minced onion (the dried kind)
2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper

Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.  I use 1-2 T per pound of meat depending on how strong I want the flavor.

Total Cost-less than a dollar for 3-6 servings!

No comments:

Post a Comment