Sunday, October 3, 2010

Into the Clouds

Quote of the Day:  Off we go into the wild blue yonder.  Climbing high into the sun. - official song of the U.S. Air Force


My writer's journey is taking me into the clouds in many ways.  The title of my WIP (work in progress novel) is War is Not for Girls.  You can read an exerpt from the opening chapter here.  I used it for a blogfest humor contest a while back.  I'm packing that story up along with my new laptop, comfortable fall clothes, my Nikon camera, and boarding a plane for Honesdale, PA where I will spend some time being a writer.  We have our own cabins for sleeping and writing and a main house for meals and meetings.  I'm calling it my own "Walden" experience.  My best writer-mama-pal Roxane will be my travel partner.  Check out what she has to say about the experience here. Who knows what will happen when you send your dreams out like a hot air balloon, soaring into the clouds, ready for adventure, open to wherever the journey leads.

This is also a great quote for me and my novel because I've read so much about the women's contributions during WWII, including Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASPS), Army Nurses, war correspondents, Red Cross volunteers, and Women Army Corps (WACS).  My MC (main character) is a senior in high school when the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor, her classmates get drafted, and she learns that she has more to offer the cause than fresh vegetables and letters from home.

Alright, Roxane, I've got my ticket printed, my bags (nearly) packed, arrangements set for the kids, and I'm ready to take off!  How about you?  (And, I'm not just talking to Roxane.)

I'm off!  I'll be back next week to tell you all about it.

Go, Create, Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  What fears do you need to conquer to set your dreams afloat?  Where do you need to go?  What do you need to learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment