Monday, April 4, 2011

C is for Charlie, Cat, and Curtain

Letter of the Day:  C


This is Charlie and our cat Matilda.  Charlie is the older of my twin sons by 12 minutes.  He prides himself on being the different one.  When he was younger, to express his individuality, he'd do things in his own sweet time.  That could sometimes be challenging to the rest of the family.  Being one of four brothers, plus having a twin that looks much like you, causes many comparisons and a few controversies.  But, Charlie can handle it with class, if he chooses.

The cat Matilda isn't doing very well.  She's only eight, but has stopped eating.  I took her to the vet, and they did a dental including extracting two rotten teeth. She's still not eating.  I'm worried.

C is also for curtain.  In an older traditional stage, you would enter for a show and the curtain would be closed.  The audience didn't know what was behind the curtain.  When I was in a few plays in high school, I loved walking onto the stage while the audience was being seated.  I'd check my props and stare at the curtain knowing that I could do anything, and they wouldn't see me, but all that would change as soon as the curtain lifted.  Now, it is more common to walk in and see the curtain open, or no curtain at all, and the audience is immediately drawn into the mood of the play by the set.  When I direct children, we often perform in open spaces, no curtain, no hiding, unless you get creative with the set.

The English expression, "It's curtains for you," comes from the use of the curtain which dropped or closed signalling the end of a play. It can be extended to mean the end or death of something or someone.

If Matilda doesn't start eating soon, it will be curtains for her.  That makes me horribly sad.

Journaling Prompt:  Write about a pet you have or would like to have, or a time when you had to say good-bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment