Friday, April 22, 2011

S is for Self-Care

Letter of the Day:  S

S is for Self-Care and Slumdog Millionaire.

If you don't take care of yourself and tend to your needs, how are you going to be healthy enough to create?  You need to claim time for yourself (see tomorrow's guest post by Cher), and you need to nurture your creative soul. 

Have you ever taken yourself on an Artist's Date?  This idea comes from Julia Cameron in her book The Artist's Way.  This book is filled with great ways to unblock your creative spirit and get you to take steps towards building your art.  If you haven't worked your way through it, I recommend you find a creative partner and do it together.  It's great to talk through the ideas and exercises together and you'll always have a cheerleader for your creative endeavors.

This week, I took a much needed Artist's Date.  I drove to a nearby town and visited the locally owned bookstore.  I loved it.  I chatted with the owner, and he said he was interested in bringing books to a Dementia Awareness workshop that's being organized by a group I've recently joined, LAMAA (Lakes Area Memory Awareness Advocates).

Then, I stopped at a cute store called:


It's a coffee/tea shop that also sells loose leaf tea and coffee beans.  I was so excited to see that they carry a few of my favorites.  My best tea lady closed shop in town a few years ago, and I hadn't discovered this place, yet. 



I made myself a cup of Evening in Missoula tonight.  Mmmm. hits the spot.  It has mint and herbs and other soothing plants, which is good, especially during allergy season.



I also picked up some flowers for my mom.  I wrote "Happy Spring" on the card.  It includes her birthday, Easter, and Mother's Day.  She lives a ways away where it is now quite swampy and flooded, but she said the roads should be open by Friday.

One more thing that fed this "starving" artist was listening to Dawn's CD during the drive.  (She wrote the guest post on R Day.)  Her music and voice are gorgeous.

And, a quick review of Slumdog Millionaire.  It's intense.  I was so nervous the first time I watched it.  I was afraid it would be too violent or heart-wrenching for me.  And, yes, there are a few tough scenes, especially with the children.  It depicts a place filled with strife and violence.  But, it's a story of survival.  I am drawn in by those stories.  I had to see it to the end.  I figured it wouldn't have gotten such rave reviews, Oscar nominations and awards, if it wasn't a strong and satisfying story.  It is.  I didn't know it was a love story.  Despite all the struggles, all the ugliness of that place and time, the corruption of some of the people, Good triumphs over evil - with great sacrifice.  I was left feeling hope in the end.

Journaling Prompt:  Where would you like to go on an Artist's Date?

No comments:

Post a Comment