Friday, October 12, 2012

A Walk through the Crow Wing State Park

Quote of the Day: There is nothing like walking to get the feel of a country. A fine landscape is like a piece of music; it must be taken at the right tempo. Even a bicycle goes too fast. ~Paul Scott Mowrer, The House of Europe

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. ~John Muir

Favorite Photos Friday, and a recurring theme - Walks

 
A couple of Friday's ago, the Biker Chef had the day off. After eating lunch at a local establishment, I said, "Is there some place we go for a walk?" So, he turned into the entrance of the Crow Wing State Park, bought a season pass (good until next October), and we took a little walk.
 
You are here.
 
The park offers many winding trails with information boards along the way. This is the location of an early settlement and town, a stop along the rivers, Crow Wing and Mississippi, for travelers and traders. The Chef brought back his best boy scout skills and gave me a guided tour.
 
 
An intersection of two water-ways.
The waters flow one way, and the wind blows another.
 
Isn't that how we feel sometimes? On the surface, we seem to be heading one direction, but underneath, our true course flows another way.
 
 
 
As I walk, I keep my camera open, looking for the beauty in nature. I start to wonder, Who walked these paths years before me? Who settled here? What were their hopes and dreams? If the trees could talk, they'd tell me stories of other walkers.



The rustling leaves are whispers of those stories. I listen, but can't quite here them. I look and see only subtle clues. What was once alive and vibrant is now at the end stages of dying and decay. That's what the fall of the year feels like, sometimes.


All summer my photographer's eye has been drawn to dead trees, standing tall, some polished bare, amidst the young saplings and new growth and strong, solid ones at their peak.  I'll probably share more of those photos on another Favorite Photos Friday. Until then, here's one for your imagination. What do you see in these twisted limbs?


I see a knobby-kneed cowboy crossing his feet. "Howdy Pardner!"

Go. Create. Inspire!
And, walk yourself into a creative mood.

Journaling Prompt:  Do you have a state park or historical site to go exploring?

No comments:

Post a Comment