Though I haven't been outside enjoying the beauty of Fall thanks to computer work, I can still appreciate a nice hearty soup to enjoy with my family. I pinned soups all summer long in anticipation for a perfect day to enjoy them--the day finally arrived a few days ago.
First up for soup season was Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup. It had a rich tomato broth in which cheese tortellini cooks and then it is topped with parmesan cheese. Really, what could be better than that? It was hearty and filling without being heavy. I loved the broth alone and when a piece of pasta was included in the bite I was in a very happy place. We paired it up with some fresh french bread that was toasted with olive oil. ENJOY!
Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
Recipe Source: Modified slightly from Mrs. Schwartz's Kitchen
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Heat a large stock pot until hot. Add olive oil and garlic. Saute until the garlic begins to turn golden. Keep an eye on this so you don't burn your garlic.
- When the garlic is golden, add the soup, milk, half and half, chicken stock and spices. Let this simmer for about 8 minutes then add your pasta. Follow the instructions on your brand of pasta. Cooking time may vary. Allow the pasta to simmer until tender.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and enjoy with shaved parmesan cheese and french bread.