Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Marscarpone Marble cake

There are just some things you just don't forget about growing up.  I remember getting off the train on 3rd avenue in Manhattan as a child and walking over to my Uncles bakery on 2nd avenue.   My grandmother, (who worked that window better than a patrol officer), would fill our bags with sugared donuts and black and white cookies on a Saturday morning.  For a child, it was as if we had found a pot of gold.  By the time we arrived at our destination (Nonna Maria's house, on 1st avenue ), our stomachs were full and our bags almost empty.   Nonna Maria would quickly suggest walking up and down the 5 flights of stairs it took to get to her apartment, to work up an appetite.   Mission Accomplished.
Nonna Barbara would always wrap up  pound cake for me to take over to Nonna Maria's house. That little white box wrapped up in Peppermint string (red and white).  It was the same little prize each time, over a 5 year period.  Nonna Maria would always be so excited, as if she not only was seeing it for the first time,  but she to,  had recieved her pot of gold.   
I need some Kleenex.

1 tablespoons Marscarpone Cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 egg
1 cup unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2  cup sugar
1/2 cup chocolate chips
3 tablespoons milk
One teaspoon vanilla extract

Sift together your dry ingredients and set aside.  Set your chocolate over some hot water and melt.  Whisk in your 3 tablespoons of milk and set aside.

Cream together your butter and sugar.  Add your beaten egg, sour cream and Marscarpone cheese.  Slowly add in your dry ingredients. Divide your batter in half.  Add your vanilla extract to one half and gently fold in the chocolate to the other.  

Grease your loaf pan (medium, 9x5x3) and line with parchment up the sides.  You may have to use some butter to cut and place your paper accordingly. 

Gently pour in some vanilla batter.  Then swirl in your chocolate alternatively.  Bake in a preheated 325degrees F oven for 40 minutes.  Insert a knife or toothpick to check if it comes out clean and is done.
Let cool on a wire rack.
Buon Appetito!


No comments:

Post a Comment