Friday, October 5, 2012

Highlights of the Renaissance Festival in Shakopee, MN

Quote of the Day: A bit of history on a festival where it's cool to dress up, eat over-sized turkey legs, and yell, "Huzzah!"

Minnesota's History with the Faire

The Minnesota Renaissance Festival began its journey in September of 1971 on a 22 acre field in Jonathan, MN. More than 25,000 people visited the two weekend grand opening of the festival then named “A Celebration of Nature, Art, and Life!” That celebration has since relocated to Shakopee, MN and has grown to be the largest Renaissance Festival in the United States with an annual attendance of 280,000.

 
I went to the Minnesota Renaissance Festival for the first time this year. I didn't dress up, but once I saw the hairbraiding booth, I decided to get my hair braided, then wished I had dressed up. Next year.
 
Before
 
During
 
After
Thanks to the Biker Chef for this creative shot.
 
The traditional turkey leg lunch and a beer
 
 
As with all good festivals (and state fairs), you eat and drink your way around the fest while visiting vendors, shopping, and watching some fun performances.
 
 
You know what they say about playing with fire...
This guy has been doing his act for 30 years!
 
The Chef found a fun hat.
Is he the Mad Hatter? Or, a magician?
 
 
Got his picture taken with the queen.
 
I found a friendly pirate to take a picture with me.
I know his secret name because he's dating my neice.
His pin says, "Not Jack."
It was fun to run into someone I know.
Although, I'm sorry we didn't get to see his juggling act.
 
We watched a jousting match and caught the legendary "Puke and Snot" comedy duo, and saw some other fun street entertainers.
 
Then, it was time to go home.
Someone might have had a little too much fun!
 
Thanks, Chef, for suggesting this fun fest. I had a great time. Many people come dressed as pirates, wenches, princesses, fairies, gypsys and other people from this period, or fantasy books and stories. Loved it. I'll be back next year with my gypsy costume, first in line to get my hair braided again, big hoop earrings, rings on my fingers, bells on my toes, and all that jazz.
 
Also, we were gifted with one last gorgeous fall weekend. Today, we have wind chills below freezing, snow in the area, and a need for parkas, ear muffs, and perhaps a hot toddy.
 
Go. Create. Inspire!
 
Journaling Prompt:  Do you like to dress up for festivals or Halloween? What's your favorite costume, or idea for this year?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment