Thursday, April 5, 2012

F is for Fringe


The Quote of the Day that inspired my A to Z Challenge theme -

A Word for the Day that takes on many meanings.

Quote of the Day: A writer lives in awe of words for they can be cruel or kind, and they can change their meanings right in front of you. They pick up flavors and odors like butter in a refrigerator. John Steinbeck

Word of the Day: Fringe


Fringe:
n
1. (Clothing & Fashion) an edging consisting of hanging threads, tassels, etc.
2.
a. an outer edge; periphery
b. (as modifier) fringe dwellers a fringe area
3. (modifier) unofficial; not conventional in form fringe theatre
4. (Clothing, Personal Arts & Crafts / Hairdressing & Grooming) Chiefly Brit a section of the front hair cut short over the forehead
5. an ornamental border or margin
6. (Physics / General Physics) Physics any of the light and dark or coloured bands produced by diffraction or interference of light

vb (tr)
1. to adorn or fit with a fringe or fringes
2. to be a fringe for fur fringes the satin
from freedictionary.com


When I knit scarves or shawls, I like to make the fringe with a crochet hook. When I was little, I sat next to my grandma in church and braided the fringe on her white shawl. A friend made the scarf in the above picture with a variety of yarns and lots of fringe. We rarely see each other, now, so we're more like fringe friends. I call the front section of hair that rests on my forehead, bangs, not fringe. Although, certain cuts create a fringe around my face.

I have a friend who grew up in the Philippines. She is warm and friendly and talks to everyone. She's thoughtful and helpful and always gives me some small gift at Christmas. I was surprised to hear her talk about being treated with prejudice because of how she looks and because of her accent. She grew up in such poverty that they rarely had gifts at Christmas, didn't believe in Santa, and had no money to go to a doctor if they were sick. When she was having some medical work done as a result of a serious, untreated childhood illness, I gave her one of my prayer shawls.

Journaling Prompt: Who are the people that live on the fringe of your community? Do you ever feel like someone who is standing on the outside of the circle looking in? Have you ever been the one to open up the circle and invite someone in?

Go. Create. Inspire!

No comments:

Post a Comment