Thursday, April 12, 2012

L is for Local


The Quote of the Day that inspired my A to Z Challenge theme -
A Word for the Day that takes on many meanings.

 Quote of the Day: A writer lives in awe of words for they can be cruel or kind, and they can change their meanings right in front of you. They pick up flavors and odors like butter in a refrigerator. John Steinbeck

Word of the Day: Local



adj
1. characteristic of or associated with a particular locality or area
2. of, concerned with, or relating to a particular place or point in space
3. (Medicine) Med of, affecting, or confined to a limited area or part Compare general [10] systemic [2]
4. (of a train, bus, etc.) stopping at all stations or stops

n
1. a train, bus, etc., that stops at all stations or stops
2. an inhabitant of a specified locality
3. Brit informal a pub close to one's home or place of work
4. (Medicine) Med short for local anaesthetic
5. (Communication Arts / Journalism & Publishing) US and Canadian an item of local interest in a newspaper
6. US and Canadian a local or regional branch of an association
7. (Electronics & Computer Science / Telecommunications) Canadian a telephone extension
Most of the time we use the term local to refer to the people and places where we live. It can be funny. If you're with people who have lived in the place all their lives, and you moved here from some other place, they are the locals, and you are the transplants, as they say. But, if you are out in the lakes area, like I am, and talk with the visitors and tourists, you are a local resident. When I was in Germany, we went down to der Local fur ein Bier. (I don't think I need to translate that one.) I didn't know the Canadian usage as a telephone extension.
I moved to the Brainerd lakes area about eight years ago. I stopped in at The Barn for lunch last week with my publicist Krista and her twin daughters. It's a famous local establishment, delicious burgers with fries or onion rings, and pie. Here are a few photos for my Favorite Photos Friday post:
We promise. We won't whine.


As long as we get some pie and ice cream.


Good marketing, having it sit right out there to tempt us all.



Dutch apple with raspberries ala mode.
Good coffee, too.


My favorite shot of the day.
You just know that all the local politics, problems, and people are discussed here.

I popped in local artist Seth Doud's CD while writing this post. I think I'll head on down to the Turn next time he's there (just found out via facebook that will be Saturday the 14th right after our show). The folks here are filling up all our performances of Coffee Shop Confessions. We're sold out for this weekend's performances at The Coco Moon. They are gracious and responsive audiences. Thanks, folks! As Lolly says in our play, "We gave them a time to come together, to laugh, to cry, to feel." To be part of a community. Do you think I'm officially a local girl, now? I hope so.

Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  Do you feel like a local in your current community? What's your favorite local establishment, entertainment, or artist?





No comments:

Post a Comment