Friday, April 20, 2012

R is for Redemption

The Quote of the Day that inspired my A to Z Blogging Challenge theme -
A Word for the Day that takes on many meanings.

Quote of the Day: A writer lives in awe of words for they can be cruel or kind, and they can change their meanings right in front of you. They pick up flavors and odors like butter in a refrigerator. John Steinbeck


Word of the Day: Redemption


Definition of Redemption according to freedictionary.com:
1. The act of redeeming or the condition of having been redeemed.

2. Recovery of something pawned or mortgaged.

3. The payment of an obligation, as a government's payment of the value of its bonds.

4. Deliverance upon payment of ransom; rescue.

5. Christianity Salvation from sin through Jesus's sacrifice.

I had cofee this week with my dear friend Erika. She is a Lutheran Pastor, and I love talking religion with her. I told her I had considered the word Religion for R day. Religion is a tough word. Some people cringe when they hear it. It brings with it feelings of guilt and sin and messages of not being good enough. Erika says she'd rather think of Redemption. When I looked it up, my eyes zeroed in on rescue. Have you ever felt like you're going through the dessert in life's journey? Your heart and soul are dry...dry bones, dem dry bones...is running through my head. You're craving a cool drink of water, something that quenches your thirst and gives you hope. Music, art, and writing do this for me, and in the company of loving people, my well is filled.

We are priveleged here in the Brainerd lakes area to have two renowned Gospel musicians coming to our town. The rest of this post is a bit of an advertisement with a redemptive message.


Robert Robinson

A soul stirring gospel and folk performance in an old sweet church. Gospel singer Robert Robinson and singer songwriter Brother Timothy (Frantzich) will perform a concert, “Heaven on a Saturday Night” May 5 at 7:00 p.m. in Brainerd at the First Congregational United Church of Christ, 415 Juniper Street.

An internationally adored singer, Robert Robinson has performed with the likes of Prince, Aretha Franklin, playing some of the country’s most prestigious music halls. Robinson may best be recognized in this area from his vocal performances with pianist Lori Line and subsequent appearances across the United States on PBS. Robinson was voted “Best Male Vocalist” by Mpls. St. Paul Magazine, and “Minnesota’s Master Male Vocalist” by the Star Tribune. Currently, Robert serves as Executive Artistic Director of the Twin Cities Community Gospel Choir. www.robertrobinsonmusic.com

“I think music is a way of watering the dryness of an individual drought.”  Robinson says. “If I’m able to do that with my music-if I’m able to do that in a church or a bar, if I can do it in a theater, if I can do it in a prison-wherever there’s an open door of people that need it and want it, then I’m willing to go there.  Because I feel that people everywhere, no matter our status or color or anything, we’re all dry and dying from something.”  Judging from the multiple ovations he has received over his singing career, the thirst has been quenched. 

Brother Timothy Frantzich

Robinson will be joined by Brother Timothy Frantzich, a singer, songwriter and native Minnesotan.  Brother Timothy has traveled extensively throughout the United States and United Kingdom and has been a guest on Garrison Keillor’s Prairie Home Companion and thousands of Pubs and Churches. Frantzich released his latest cd, “My Lost and Wild Daughter” in March which features Robinson on vocals.  “I first worked with Robert Robinson on a recording 10 years ago. I was in the control room of a swanky studio in Minneapolis. Every time he sang it made my knees weak,” says Frantzich, “He is a force of nature, simply amazing. Doing this concert in Brainerd is pure joy. Heaven... On a Saturday night.” www.brothertimothy.net.


I'm listening to this cd while writing, and I have both a peaceful feeling and new energy. I am so looking forward to their concert and immersing myself in their river of song.

Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  What quenches your dry and thirsting soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment