Saturday, April 28, 2012

Y is for Yellow

The Quote of the Day that inspired my A to Z Blogging Challenge theme -
A Word for the Day that takes on many meanings.

Quote of the Day: A writer lives in awe of words for they can be cruel or kind, and they can change their meanings right in front of you. They pick up flavors and odors like butter in a refrigerator. John Steinbeck


Word of the Day: Yellow

I saw this tiny branch lying on the ground and looked for a good background for it.
It makes me think of a divining rod.
Look! It found water.

Of course, yellow is a color, and as colors go, there are many shades of yellow. The flourescent yellow text color wouldn't show up well on this screen, so I went with mustard. If someone calls you "yellow," he's probably looking for a fight. I went to the Minneapolis Institute of Art yesterday for their Art in Bloom display, flower arrangements placed throughout the institute that compliment the artwork. It was amazing! I set out to find shades of yellow. Here's my pictoral journey.

The yellow train led the way.


I was seeing double all day.


Krista's twin daughters, four & half years old, came along to see the flowers and Pippi!

The girls like this face.
It's all flowers and greenery.


Note how the arrangements look like the artwork.


You can't resist the urge to touch.


Right, Mom?
Or, is it mum in this case?


The colors are so vibrant.


I thought this was brilliant.
Art immitating life, which is art.


Shades of yellow, and the red?
Is it heart?
Is it a brooch?


A countryside oasis of flowers.
I imagine tiny pixies living here.


This was my favorite pairing.
See the tiny clothesline in the flowers?
Here's a closer one of the flower arrangement.


I give this one first place.



Flowers or cake?
Looks good enough to eat.


What cultural display influenced this one?


The body is birch bark.
How'd they do that?

One more stunning yellow arrangement, placed in front of the window looking into the lobby of the Children's Theatre. I had to wait to photograph it because a group of women were standing around, talking about it. I surmised it was the artist and her friends. She said that when it wilts just a bit, it will look like the "yellow sponge" (as the little girls called it) hanging behind it.



The amazing Ninja blogger, Alex J. Cavanaugh, honored me today on his Y is for Youthfulness post. He thinks I'm youthful, and I'll gladly accept that title. Just yesterday, I pulled on my own longstockings and attended a performance of Pippi Longstocking at the Children's Theatre in Minneapolis. I'll have the review up soon.


Go. Create. Inspire!
And, embrace your inner child. He or she really wants to go out to play!!!

Journaling Prompt:  Have you ever seen the Art in Bloom display, or something like it? What art pairings have you admired? I've also enjoyed a pairing of Beetles music with art. I could have spent days there.


No comments:

Post a Comment