Monday, April 9, 2012

I is for Interesting


The Quote of the Day that inspired my A to Z Challenge theme -
A Word for the Day that takes on many meanings.

Quote of the Day: A writer lives in awe of words for they can be cruel or kind, and they can change their meanings right in front of you. They pick up flavors and odors like butter in a refrigerator. John Steinbeck

Word of the Day: Interesting; adjArousing or holding the attention, absorbing


I found this "I" painted on the road near my house. I think it looks interesting, or do I? Maybe what I really mean is that it looks curious. But, what exactly does that mean? The truth is, I was taking a walk and looking for letters to use on my blogposts during the A to Z Challenge, and this one caught my eye. When I posted it on my blog, the boys were standing around me and we made up reasons why it might be there. Now, I ask you, is this yellow line really worthy of arousing or holding the attention, absorbing? It's a yellow line. It looked different, so I took a picture of it, and started thinking of a story. At best, it piqued my curiousity.

My sister Nancy and I were discussing the word interesting and how it is often used to make a vague comment. She said, "It is an abstract word used as a concrete word." Someone points out something like a yellow line on the road, and you say, "Interesting." Or, you hang up the phone and say, "I just had an interesting conversation with _____."

I find that interesting is my "go to" word when I'm not sure how to answer, or if I haven't been paying close attention to the conversation, or I'm really not that absorbed, but don't want to sound like I'm not interested.

Later in our conversation, Nancy told me that someone we know is having marital problems. I caught myself say, "Interesting." It seemed like a better answer than, "Oh."

I'll end this post now because it's starting to be about as interesting as a yellow line on the road.

Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  Do you have an easy "go to" word that offers a vague response?

No comments:

Post a Comment