Friday, April 13, 2012

M is for Money


The Quote of the Day that inspired my A to Z Challenge theme -
A Word for the Day that takes on many meanings.

 Quote of the Day: A writer lives in awe of words for they can be cruel or kind, and they can change their meanings right in front of you. They pick up flavors and odors like butter in a refrigerator. John Steinbeck

 Word of the Day: Money


Some people say that money is the root of evil. The actual quote comes from the Bible, For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. 1 Timothy 6:10 (new international version)

Oh, do I know the reality of this. I have witnessed it first hand. Do you have trigger words? Trigger words are the ones that set your emotions in a spiral, reopen wounds, set your heart to anxiety-filled palpitations. Money and how it becomes a weapon of power and control is one of those words for me.

Of course, in the society in which I live, money is necessary for survival. I need it for my basic needs. If I didn't have my own money, I would feel vulnerable. Knowing what I have and where it is gives me independence and confidence.

Money is NOT to be a measure of someone's true value. It is not the number you wrote on your tax returns. Your net worth in your family and community cannot be added up with dollars and cents. We are so much more than that. We are the spiritual gifts that we use and share. We are the genuine person who shows up in days of sunshine and rain. What we do in a day might never be rewarded to us in the form of a check. Instead, we will receive gifts of friendship, love, healthy relationships and communities.

I leave you with these words from The Message Bible.
A devout life does bring wealth, but it's the rich simplicity of being yourself before God. Since we entered the world penniless and will leave it penniless, if we have bread on the table and shoes on our feet, that's enough.

But if it's only money these leaders are after, they'll self-destruct in no time.  Lust for money brings trouble and nothing but trouble. Going down that path, some lose their footing in the faith completely and live to regret it bitterly ever after.

Go. Create. Inspire!
Be your authentic self in all you do, and believe in the value of who you are.

Journaling Prompt:  Did tax season stress you out? Do you measure your own value by the number on that form? What makes you special and unique?

No comments:

Post a Comment