Tuesday, April 24, 2012

V is for Victory

The Quote of the Day that inspired my A to Z Blogging Challenge theme -
A Word for the Day that takes on many meanings.

Quote of the Day: A writer lives in awe of words for they can be cruel or kind, and they can change their meanings right in front of you. They pick up flavors and odors like butter in a refrigerator. John Steinbeck


Word of the Day: Victory



n. pl. vic·to·ries
1. Defeat of an enemy or opponent.
2. Success in a struggle against difficulties or an obstacle.
3. The state of having triumphed.
Definitions according to freedictionary.com. One of the phrases they associate with victory is carry the day.

The success of my first original play Coffee Shop Confessions is a triumphant victory. Yes, I overcame obstacles to even write it, then to gather the cast, set the dates, rehearse, and all the while fight down self-doubt and artist angst. After seven sold-out shows, we truly did carry the day. I'm still carrying it with me. Maybe I'm in denial, but it doesn't feel over. Krista said, "It's not over. It's just the beginning." I'm going with that. Who knows what will happen next?

A friend asked me if this experience changed me life. Oh, yes. There is something wild and wonderful about being in a play. New relationships form. I've been the conductor on this creative train, inviting others to jump on board, and together we ride on to victory.


Look at this crew! The two cut-ups were like that at every rehearsal. It was like Evening at the Improv at the Senior Center, our rehearsal space. In this photo, we're waiting to go on for our final performance (for this run) at The Shante. What a joy this has been.

Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  Write about a victory. When did you carry the day?

No comments:

Post a Comment