Friday, April 27, 2012

X is a symbol

The Quote of the Day that inspired my A to Z Blogging Challenge theme -
A Word for the Day that takes on many meanings.

Quote of the Day: A writer lives in awe of words for they can be cruel or kind, and they can change their meanings right in front of you. They pick up flavors and odors like butter in a refrigerator. John Steinbeck


Word of the Day: X

This X fits for Favorite Photo Friday.
It's my favorite letter photo I took for the challenge.
I found it outside the Minneapolis Institute of Art, where I'll be heading today to see "Art in Bloom"  and watch Pippi Longstocking at the Children's Theatre Company.

X stands alone. X marks the spot. X indicates a crossing, or where a treasure is hidden. XE is a noble gas on the periodic table. Looking up XE on the internet, I learned it is a dot com site for currency exchange. Days before the A to Z Challenge started, I was eating at a Chinese restaurant with my kids. My fortune cookie read: You will find the answer to a question you seek. Just then, my X idea popped into my head, and I told the kids that X stands for Christmas! Some people think the X exes out Christ. Others explain that the X is a symbol for Christ, so it works. If you're a texter, you'll prefer the X to writing out the name.

Bobby said I could use XE, xenon, a noble gas. I asked him why it was noble. My children's writer brain was picturing it dressed in purple with a crown on its head. Or, maybe it's something that happens when a king eats too many beans. (Hey, what can I say, I have four boys. This is the kind of thing that makes them giggle.) It was discovered by Sir William Ramsay, that sounds noble. Here's what ChemicalElemenets.com says about noble gases: The six noble gases are found in group 18 of the periodic table. These elements were considered to be inert gases until the 1960's, because their oxidation number of 0 prevents the noble gases from forming compounds readily. All noble gases have the maximum number of electrons possible in their outer shell (2 for Helium, 8 for all others), making them stable.  (So, to be noble is to be stable? That's debatable!)

Bobby explained this to me at the time of the fortune cookie. I said, "Hmmm. I should have paid more attention in chemestry class." I always thought the periodic table looked cool, and I liked making atoms out those tiny tinker toys. Other than that, I made up stories and drew pictures on my notes.

My favorite symbol for X is this: XXOO. Jolly Jilly found a quilt block with this symbol of affection. May you give and receive many XXs & OOs today.

Go. Create. Inspire!

If you're in the Brainerd area, check out Art at Central Lakes College. My review is on my blogspot on The Brainerd Dispatch. You'll have an X-cellent time!

Journaling Prompt:  Has a fortune cookie message ever rung true for you? Did you enjoy your chemestry class?

No comments:

Post a Comment