Tuesday, April 17, 2012

O is for Opportunity

The Quote of the Day that inspired my A to Z Blogging Challenge theme -
A Word for the Day that takes on many meanings.

Quote of the Day: A writer lives in awe of words for they can be cruel or kind, and they can change their meanings right in front of you. They pick up flavors and odors like butter in a refrigerator. John Steinbeck

Word of the Day: Opportunity


You know the definition of luck; it's where Hard Work meets Opportunity. Freedictionary.com has some great examples.

1.
a. A favorable or advantageous circumstance or combination of circumstances.
b. A favorable or suitable occasion or time.

2. A chance for progress or advancement.

Synonyms: opportunity, occasion, opening, chance, break
These nouns refer to a favorable or advantageous circumstance or combination of circumstances. Opportunity is an auspicious state of affairs or a suitable time: "If you prepare yourself . . . you will be able to grasp opportunity for broader experience when it appears" (Eleanor Roosevelt).Occasion suggests the proper time for action: an auspicious occasion; an occasion for celebration.
An opening is an opportunity affording a good possibility of success: waited patiently for her opening, then exposed the report's inconsistency.
Chance often implies an opportunity that arises through luck or accident: a chance for us to chat; no chance of losing.
A break is an often sudden piece of luck, especially good luck: got his first big break in Hollywood.

Love that Eleanor Roosevelt quote. A big part of success is saying Yes! to new challenges and working towards a goal even when you aren't sure you're making any progress. You might say that I'm lucky to be invited to theaters like the Guthrie and the Children's Theater in Minneapolis to write reviews. I certainly feel lucky. Every time I walk through their doors and pick up my tickets, my heart pumps a little faster and my senses come alive. And, to think, it all started with my blog. My best writermamapal, Roxane at Peace Garden Mama, had been blogging for a year or so and encouraged me to start a blog. After I'd been blogging for a year or so, I saw, via facebook, that the Guthrie was looking for bloggers to come to their shows and write reviews. Without a moments hesitation, I signed up. Anne, the PR person at the Children's Theatre, found me online and invited me to shows there. Now, I'm doing something I love and getting a good education as a playwright as well. The theaters benefit from having reviews online. I'm making more and more connections, and the circle is widening.


Each time I go to the theater is a new adventure. I get to bring a guest, and this time my cousin Angie accompanied me.


The view from the 9th floor where they have shows in the studio is one of my favorite places. I'm usually here at night and the view of the city and all its twinkly lights is so romantic. Angie and I were here for a matinee, and it was the first I realized that the window is tinted yellow. It's bright and beautiful up here, warm and magical. Angie liked looking at the patterns below.


The Level Five Cafe has delicious food and it is so convenient to eat there. Since it's part of the theater experience, the seating host asks what show you're seeing. He hadn't seen Time Stands Still, yet, so I gave him my card and told him to watch for the review. Our waiter, Michael, was great. He said, "I'll start with the quiche of the day." He didn't need to go any further. He had us at bacon, ham, cheese, and squash.


I dove right in. I was hungry. It was delicious. The crust was light and flakey. Then, I pulled out my camera to share with all of you because I knew you'd like some too. Michael popped on over to ask how we liked it and jumped in a picture.



Isn't that great! He's cute and funny. We said no to dessert, and he said, "So, the dessert card didn't do its work." I said, "It didn't have pictures." (I can't resist a good lookin' dessert.) This was a perfect segue for him to talk photography. He was admiring my camera, asking about its features and if I'd go with the lower priced one or spend the money on the upgrade. I said for me it's a part of my creativity and I use my own photos on my blog. I'd love to get the better lens, then I'll have more options for my photos. He said, "You've sold me." (I'll have Nikon send me my commission check.)

It's fun that we had a camera theme to our day since the play was about a photo journalist and one of the people on the panel after the play was a local photographer.

Keep doing what you love. Keep building your brand and honing your skills. You never know what opportunity is waiting to meet you.

Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  When has hard work met opportunity in your life? What do you hope will happen with what you're working on, now?

No comments:

Post a Comment