Sunday, April 29, 2012

Z is for Zone

The Quote of the Day that inspired my A to Z Blogging Challenge theme -
A Word for the Day that takes on many meanings.

Quote of the Day: A writer lives in awe of words for they can be cruel or kind, and they can change their meanings right in front of you. They pick up flavors and odors like butter in a refrigerator. John Steinbeck


Word of the Day: Zone


I'm really quite pleased with my Z photo. I found it outside the Children's Theatre. When I'm watching plays, I'm definitely in the zone. I am in the moment. I don't worry about anything outside of that story. I do let my mind wander and make connections, but I think that's part of the zone. This also happens when I'm reading a good book. I can tune out all that boy noise, even their gadgets and fussing. I'm in a different time zone inside of that story.

I've been in the zone when I'm making music. Sometimes, I lose myself in the song, my fingers finding the notes without conscious effort, and there are times when a story idea sorts itself out, or a real life situation gains clarity. If I'm in angst about anything, I sit down to the piano.

When I was writing Coffee Shop Confessions, I would sit in the coffee shop or at home, and I'd hear all the noises around me, until I started getting into the story. The voices in my head took over, then I heard nothing but what they needed me to write. One evening, around bedtime, my oldest son walked through the kitchen and gave me a funny look. I was wiping tears off my cheeks. I had just written a powerful scene, the one that makes the actress cry, the one where I noticed several people reaching for something to wipe their eyes.

There are many kinds of zones in the world. Being in the zone with my art is sheer bliss.

Go. Create. Inspire!

Journaling Prompt:  Describe a time when you were in the zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment