Saturday, April 6, 2013

Millie and Willie have Fun on Friday

Quote of the Month: Open the window in the center of your chest and let the spirits fly in and out. Rumi
(My theme for this year's
A to Z Challenge is Open.)

Millie and Willie, a sock puppet creation, are here to tell you their story during the April A to Z Blogging Challenge.

Naomi Shihab Nye meets Willie and Millie at a poetry event at the
Cetral Lakes College in Brainerd, MN
 
Millie:  What a thrill to meet the famous poet, Naomi Shihab Nye.
 
Willie:  That was the most fun I've ever had at a poetry reading.
 
Millie:  It was her voice. As soon as she started reading, I relaxed like I was in a rocking chair with our new puppy Tillie curled up on my lap.
 
Willie:  She had funny poems, too.
 
Millie:  She even complimented us on our laughter. I think she really likes Minnesotans.
 
Willie:  Some poems have a thoughtful message, too.
 
Millie:  I knew it was safe to meet her when she talked about being inspired by kids and how they use language. I feel that way, too.
 
It was so nice of her to sign her poetry book for us.
 
After meeting Naomi, Willie read Millie some of her poems, and they took a nap.
 
 
Then, they got ready for a very special event.
 
Millie and Willie attend the Her Voice celebration with writer, Mary Aalgaard
 
Millie:  First of all, I can't believe that Her Voice is already celebrating it's 10 year anniversary. Wasn't it just last year that they had the party for the five year celebration?
 
Willie:  Time flies, Millie. I like reading Her Voice, too, you know. It's not just for women. It's a community magazine.
 
Millie:  Real men read Her Voice, Willie. All the writers are great, and the photos are splendid.
 
Willie:  You know, you could send in one of your stories on training dogs, being a dog whisperer.
 
Millie:  I'm thinking about it.
 
Willie:  (smiles and whistles I've been working on the railroad)
 
Meg Douglas (editor), Mary Aalgaard, and Joey Halvorson (photographer)
 
Thanks, Meg, for starting Her Voice ten years ago. Thank you, Brainerd Dispatch, for supporting this fine magazine. Thank you to Joey and the other photographers, writers, subjects, advertisers, and support staff. Meg quoted me today at the party, "I found my voice through Her Voice!" I hope that many other women will find such a great place to tell their stories.
 
Go. Create. Inspire!
 
Journaling Prompt:  Where have you found your voice, been able to express yourself, and build your confidence?
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment