Saturday, April 13, 2013

Open a Love Letter

I'm a little late with my L post today. Internet connection was getting lousy. I was getting loony from trying to link, so I let go of the old and bought a new Linksys. (Making up for my lack of letter writing, but no more being lazy! Love Letters are always worth the wait, right? They also leave a lingering luscious feeling. I'll let Willie take it away, now.)

Quote of the Month: Open the window in the center of your chest and let the spirits fly in and out. Rumi
(My theme for this year's
A to Z Challenge is Open.)

Millie and Willie Cottonpoly, a sock puppet creation, are here to tell you their story during the April A to Z Blogging Challenge. 


Willie sent Millie many Love Letters during his years of working on the railroad.
 
Willie:  Hey, Millie, I was cleaning out the closet under the stairs and found a box with old letters. Do you still want to keep them?
 
Millie:  Of course, Willie. I'd never part with the sweet letters you sent me through the years. It's what kept the spark alive between us.
 
Willie:  (blushes a little) I'll just tuck this back where I found it.
 
Millie:  Wait a minute, Willie. That's one of my favorites. (takes letter from Willie and holds it close to her heart) I had just quit my job at the bank and I was a little worried about how you'd react, and if it was the right decision. (Millie begins to read Willie's words to her from May 1977.)
 
My Darling Millie, (Millie smiles up at Willie who pulls his cap over his eyes)
 
We had a stop over at Loyalsockville, PA today. Great name for a town, eh? Anyway, bought some Hot Tomales for you at the General Store and started chatting with a lady buying dog biscuits. I told her about our dog Tillie and that you're starting a dog obedience school. She's been training dogs for 27 years and said it's been a labor of love. She said, "I can't believe I get paid to play with those pooches all day!" 
 
Anyway, I wanted you to know that I think of you every mile of every trip. I have a restless spirit, but not a wandering heart. Once I laid eyes on you at the bank, I knew I'd love no other. You are the coal in my furnace, the color in the stripes of the fabric of my life, and the reason that no matter how far I roam, I always long to come home to you. By now, people might have expected us to have a few little anklets to raise, but the Great Creator hasn't seen fit for that to happen. No worries, Darling, you and me, we make a great pair. And, together, we're all the family we need.
 
On to Footville, WI, then home to you, Darling. 
 
With Love and Affection,
Willie
 
PS: I bought some of the dog biscuits, too. I think Tillie will take a shine to them, and you might want to try them out on your first class of Puppy School.

(At this point, Willie is a little flustered and leaves for a bag of doggie biscuits for Tillie Two and Hot Tamales for his Darling Millie.)

********************
 
The towns Loysockville and Footville are real towns, according to this fun site, Weird U.S. Town Names. Go there for a chuckle. I was surprised to see how many states have a town named Climax. I grew up near Climax, MN.
 
Go. Create. Inspire!
 
Journaling Prompt:  Write a love letter to someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment